Following up on my previous post regarding logos in sports, I'm going to give a rundown of my favorite and least favorite hats in the Majors.
- The Marlins had a chance to do something special since they revamped everything about the look of their organization but this hat (orange or black) is just hideous.
- The Angels lid isn't terrible, but I always compare it to the old capital "A" with the halo from 1972 to 1992 - it is way better than the interlocking "CA" from the mid-1990's and way way better than the flying "A" from the late-1990's.
- The Brewers should have never gotten away from the old "mb" disguised as a glove logo. I get the grain of wheat and it's better than the old "M" with Wisconsin in the background.
- Astros haven't done much right lately but maybe a switch to the AL will bring about a better logo. They've never had a good hat really and this one isn't doing it either. It's just too dark.
- The Orioles decided to go retro with this years cap but it needs a little less bulky outline - a la 1975-1988 - but hey, they're in 1st place.
- The Indians' Chief Wahoo looks entirely too small on this hat, especially with grown men wearing it instead of little kids. The disproportion of it makes it look ridiculous.
- The Blue Jays hat clearly identifies Canada and their nickname, and it's remained relatively unchanged through the years, besides from 2004-2011, when the opted for the metallic looking hideousness.
- Again, the Mets make my favorites list. Speaking about unchanged, the orange and blue interlocking "NY" has never wavered from the crest.
- Finally, the Royals are winners in my book. I'm sensing a royal blue theme here, but they've had the same logo since their inception in 1969 and have only had three other variations. Classic look.
- The Yankees cap is synonymous with classic baseball royalty. They only thing they've done to it is not change it and the interlocking "NY" is simple. And it works.
- The Giants did a great job interlocking the "SF" without using an outline. The contrast of the black and orange is perfect. The one hiccup they had in hats was the lower case "g" but that was merely an alternate.
- The Reds have a great hat. Not only are they Nolan's favorite team, but the simplicity of the "c" with the subtle black outline. It used to look like the Bears logo or even the Indians, but they've ironed it out and perfected their lids.
- Washington is new to the baseball scene but they do their hats right. The "W" script is awesome and the navy blue outline works. The tilt on the front adds a little to this one as well.
The Tigers, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs all have great hats, just not for me.
Simple wins out every time it seems with making a baseball cap look great. And royal blue might add some style points to them as well. Teams try to go too far to make their hat look good, and let's face it, when you try to hard, it looks like crap - Marlins!